I suggest you ...

Please allow a connection from Code Guard

Code Guard provides incremental backup where I can roll back as far as I like.
Critically, they also provide an alert if a file has changed which allows me to investigate if it's something I wasn't expecting.
All they need is SFTP and database access but for some reason this is not being allowed by Cloud Ways. In chat I was told that "custom changes" to the server were not allowed.

1 vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

MichaelR shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@MichaelR -- I use Code Guard with two sites at Cloudways (both on Digital Ocean) and it works fine.

First, be sure to whitelist Code Guard's IP addresses in the Cloudways panel (Server Admin->Security.) You may then need to open a ticket with Code Guard to ask them to set up the site manually... the automated setup process may still have problems, but once they get it working for you it should be fine.

If they get stuck, tell them to look at support ticket 14676, where Taylor solved this for me... :)

• MichaelR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks, yes I know you allow SFTP access. CodeGuard for some reason isn't working though. I asked them about it about and they said,
    "At this time, we do not support backups for websites hosted with CloudWays. To be more specific, the SFTP server daemon that CloudWays uses returns directory listings that our SFTP library cannot read. This issue appears to be specific to sites hosted with CloudWays."

• AdminCloudways (Admin, Cloudways) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Michael, we definitely allow SFTP access https://support.cloudways.com/how-to-connect-to-your-application-using-sftp/.

About database access, it can only be done via SSH with the master credentials (https://support.cloudways.com/how-to-manage-your-databases-using-mysql-workbench/). For security reasons, we can't leave the mysql port open to the world.

Cloudways Team

Feedback and Knowledge Base