I suggest you ...

Multi-tier (more than one server for my application, load balancer, web servers, database server...)

I would love to have the option of setting up a multi-server application for more targeted and cost effective scaling. For instance, Say I could create a Wordpress site with a dedicated DB server, a dedicated load balancer, and a dedicated Web server. As my site grows, I can scale the specific part that is needed. If my site is gets a lot of views (reads), but doesn't make many writes, scaling my existing web server (or adding another instance) may be what's needed. If I'm running a WooCommerce site and start pushing the limits of my db server, increasing the resources or implementing replication might make more sense. It would be really great to have that level of control when growing a site.

795 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  CloudwaysAdminCloudways (Admin, Cloudways) responded  · 

For the last couple of month we have been doing preliminary work on this. We are working on a cluster like solution that will provide high availability and easy scalability while offering a high degree of control and customisation. We expect to have an alpha version available at the end of the second quarter.

Will keep you posted.

Cloudways Team

50 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Load balancing is for the budget. If you can't do it here just find another who support it. Also if the case was to load balancing using 15 x 512mb at digital ocean, it will cost $75, but here may be cost more but with more feature (as cw promise). Bigger server is not an option for budget. Unless you have enough budget to buy managed server here.

• CloudwaysAdminCloudways (Admin, Cloudways) commented  · 

The agent that spoke with Stefan, was referring to Kyup (and probably was not clear enough about it).

As it stands and with the features it brings, Kyup is an alternative to a full blown web farm with load balancers, auto-scaling groups, shared storage, database layers ... This is based, as explained, on following features:

* Instant auto-scalability with no downtime (currently just up, down coming soon).
        * High availability (when using distributed storage that will be available this month) with nearly no downtime (2-5s). Server can restart in new physical server automatically in case of issues with the physical server where it is hosted.

For customers who need all cluster features, we have started to work on a cluster option based on containers that could be deployed on top of any infrastructure with a minimum number of three servers. We will be performing R&D throughout Q4.

Cloudways Team

• shezshez commented  · 

@stefan
        I just asked and apparently they CANNOT do it and they have NO plans.. the best they can do is have a new server by KYUUP which auto scales..

talk about false advertising/hope

• Stefan PatatuStefan Patatu commented  · 

I just talked with someone from Tech Support about this. They said it will be surely available within the next 2 months.

Just posting this here so we don't waste their time asking them the same question again and again.

• Anonymous commented  · 

There should be an option to add a separet server dedicated for Database wintin same data center so application can connect DB with local internal IPs for better performance.

• Anonymous commented  · 

What's the status of this?

• ThomasThomas commented  · 

Hi, any updates on this?

• JessJess commented  · 

Awesome! Would love to see this feature running and on soon! Keep me updated and All the best, Cloudways team!

• Rune JensenRune Jensen commented  · 

Awesome - We'll be looking much forward to these updates. :)

• CloudwaysAdminCloudways (Admin, Cloudways) commented  · 

We are working to integrate a new provider with a new technology (containers on bare metal) that will solve most of what a load balanced / multi-tier infrastructure would provide with much less complexity (and of course cost).

What we aim at being able to offer with the new provider:

* Nearly instant provisioning (<2s).
        * Instant scaling (<2s with no downtime).
        * Option to schedule scaling (date/time) or set auto-scaling based on CPU/Memory usage (again nearly instant scaling <2 with no downtime).
        * High availability via live migration between physical hosts (to be available soon).

We think this is the way the market will go to solve the customer problems that were solved (up to now) via load balanced environments.

We will keep you posted.

Cloudways Team

• Rune JensenRune Jensen commented  · 

Yeah, a load balancing solution would be incredibly welcome. It is really tough to have to account for downtime when upgrading, restarting etc. a server - because usually when you do these things, it's because of heavy load and high traffic, which means it's almost always going to be "inconvenient" for your visitors (who has no idea what's going on when the server is under maintenance or downtime, cause you can't even explain it with an "under maintenance" message).

Oh, and not to speak of the speed improvements. CloudWays already have a great cloning setup - so couldn't they just base the load balancing on that? All it really requires is some nifty and dynamic DNS-setup, a load balancing delegator and then an exact clone of the server you want load balanced (as well as the load balancing software of course).

Pricing would be simple too:
        For each server/node/clone (call it what you will) you add to your server's load balance setup, you pay:
        1) the equivalent of the amount you already pay for the server
        2) a fee for the load balancing setup

E.g. if you're paying $100 per month for a server at Amazon, and you want to add a load balancer, you will now be paying $100 (original server) + $100 (load balance cloned server) + $20 (fee for the load balanced setup, with DNS and main node etc.).

And if you then need to upgrade to eg. more storage for $50, you will be upgrading both servers (original + cloned load balance server) simultaneously, so you will in fact end up with a $100 upgrade.

I hope this makes sense, and we really hope to see this feature really soon. Thank you.

• VyseVyse commented  · 

Hope cloudways would support this feature this will be a huge plus.

• AlexandreAlexandre commented  · 

Certainly it is very important!

A cloud without load balancing not a cloud is very important.

Please cloudways implement this feature. heavy site needs this feature.

hugs and stay with God

• SamSam commented  · 

Load Balancer and Horizontal Scaling please. It doesn't make sense to buy a 32 GB machine and have the risk while I can have 4 x 4 GB machine and load balance it with a load balancer.

• Anonymous commented  · 

+10 for this. This solution shall really benefit a lot of ventures

Feedback and Knowledge Base