I suggest you ...

Multi-tier (more than one server for my application, load balancer, web servers, database server...)

I would love to have the option of setting up a multi-server application for more targeted and cost effective scaling. For instance, Say I could create a Wordpress site with a dedicated DB server, a dedicated load balancer, and a dedicated Web server. As my site grows, I can scale the specific part that is needed. If my site is gets a lot of views (reads), but doesn't make many writes, scaling my existing web server (or adding another instance) may be what's needed. If I'm running a WooCommerce site and start pushing the limits of my db server, increasing the resources or implementing replication might make more sense. It would be really great to have that level of control when growing a site.

747 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  CloudwaysAdminCloudways (Admin, Cloudways) responded  · 

For the last couple of month we have been doing preliminary work on this. We are working on a cluster like solution that will provide high availability and easy scalability while offering a high degree of control and customisation. We expect to have an alpha version available at the end of the second quarter.

Will keep you posted.

Cloudways Team

45 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ThomasThomas commented  · 

Hi, any updates on this?

• JessJess commented  · 

Awesome! Would love to see this feature running and on soon! Keep me updated and All the best, Cloudways team!

• Rune JensenRune Jensen commented  · 

Awesome - We'll be looking much forward to these updates. :)

• CloudwaysAdminCloudways (Admin, Cloudways) commented  · 

We are working to integrate a new provider with a new technology (containers on bare metal) that will solve most of what a load balanced / multi-tier infrastructure would provide with much less complexity (and of course cost).

What we aim at being able to offer with the new provider:

* Nearly instant provisioning (<2s).
        * Instant scaling (<2s with no downtime).
        * Option to schedule scaling (date/time) or set auto-scaling based on CPU/Memory usage (again nearly instant scaling <2 with no downtime).
        * High availability via live migration between physical hosts (to be available soon).

We think this is the way the market will go to solve the customer problems that were solved (up to now) via load balanced environments.

We will keep you posted.

Cloudways Team

• Rune JensenRune Jensen commented  · 

Yeah, a load balancing solution would be incredibly welcome. It is really tough to have to account for downtime when upgrading, restarting etc. a server - because usually when you do these things, it's because of heavy load and high traffic, which means it's almost always going to be "inconvenient" for your visitors (who has no idea what's going on when the server is under maintenance or downtime, cause you can't even explain it with an "under maintenance" message).

Oh, and not to speak of the speed improvements. CloudWays already have a great cloning setup - so couldn't they just base the load balancing on that? All it really requires is some nifty and dynamic DNS-setup, a load balancing delegator and then an exact clone of the server you want load balanced (as well as the load balancing software of course).

Pricing would be simple too:
        For each server/node/clone (call it what you will) you add to your server's load balance setup, you pay:
        1) the equivalent of the amount you already pay for the server
        2) a fee for the load balancing setup

E.g. if you're paying $100 per month for a server at Amazon, and you want to add a load balancer, you will now be paying $100 (original server) + $100 (load balance cloned server) + $20 (fee for the load balanced setup, with DNS and main node etc.).

And if you then need to upgrade to eg. more storage for $50, you will be upgrading both servers (original + cloned load balance server) simultaneously, so you will in fact end up with a $100 upgrade.

I hope this makes sense, and we really hope to see this feature really soon. Thank you.

• VyseVyse commented  · 

Hope cloudways would support this feature this will be a huge plus.

• AlexandreAlexandre commented  · 

Certainly it is very important!

A cloud without load balancing not a cloud is very important.

Please cloudways implement this feature. heavy site needs this feature.

hugs and stay with God

• SamSam commented  · 

Load Balancer and Horizontal Scaling please. It doesn't make sense to buy a 32 GB machine and have the risk while I can have 4 x 4 GB machine and load balance it with a load balancer.

• Anonymous commented  · 

+10 for this. This solution shall really benefit a lot of ventures

• fgiliofgilio commented  · 

I'm really interested in this.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I agree! Since you are working directly with some of the largest cloud service providers on the planet it would be nice to offer a managed Wordpress Cluster service consisting of a server acting as a load balancer in front of two or more servers running Wordpress with two or more database servers with failover capability. Having the ability to have multiple servers running from multiple data centres from multiple geolocations would ensure the ability to run without any downtime. Actually, Amazon AWS offers the ability to create a self-healing, highly available, and high-performance application/web auto-scaling hosting capability now. Their Aurora RDS (MySQL Compatible) database service is incredibly fast too.

Also, Vultr is working on their BGP capability.

Operating these services requires a wealth of technical knowledge and a team to support them due to their complexity. I and many other people running massive online businesses would benefit by having some of this complex management outsourced. To my disappointment Cloudways is not offering these services currently.

• ChrisChris commented  · 

It is often beneficial for speed (page load times) if the DB server is not the same as the web server, would be nice if this type of setup was offered so we can, for instance, have a 512MB VPS for the DB and a 1GB instance for the web server.

• DonDon commented  · 

+5 to adding an easy to use, easy to do ... option to have separate database servers, Load Balancer, high availability ...

Yes! to simplicity, but that doesn't mean you can't add complex features while making them simpler and easier to use for the "masses" :).

Take these complex aspects of hosting and make them into simple to configure, deploy & manage solutions - just like what you did so far with single VPS. Then you would have a better alternative to the do it yourself self-manage solutions out there. Clouways would open up using this advance architecture to everyone. And this is certainly matching perfectly the your current customer profile. That would be a crazy competitive advantage in the space.

Keep in mind that the customers that go VPN route are not the Wordpress.com build your own blog type or $1.99 shared hosting. Are more advanced and with higher requirements and expectations when it comes to hosting.

While you can boot with a simple solution many will get to a point where they learn about and will want these options. Now its up to you if you want to retain these customers or are fine to have a big hole in the bucket so to say.

Cheers!

Feedback and Knowledge Base