I suggest you ...

Restrict an SFTP logins to a specfic folder

Need to have the ability to setup restrict an SFTP logins to a specific folder inside a website. For example, domain.com/orders/xmlfiles/. And if there is a way to restict that login to a specfic IP address that would be awesome.

45 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Eric Kooymans shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should definitely be a feature cloudways adds to their system for multiple reasons. Would help with security, simplicity of use, a standard other hosting services provide.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need the sftp-option for wordpress projects: worpdress has an "uploads" folder where inside this folder a individual sub-folder should be selectable as target-folder for a new sftp-user functionality. At the moment only a stft-accout can be set everytime in the root-folder which is not usable when create a automated data-import feature (very often used for real estate projects or car-seller websites > sending automated xml, csv data as zip-files with images and pdfs which then will be extraceted an imported into worpdpress for new offers...)

Any chance this will get implemented?
        It's not that complicated to do directly on Ubuntu for example so it shouldn't be to add the feature on the Cloudways interface.

Would definitely like to see this functionality added. Have a client that uses an ftp folder for sharing files with staff, and I cannot protect the application files from general staff because we can't point the ftp user to a specific folder.

• w5m commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely a useful feature that I am now missing having moved to Cloudways from a previous web host that offered this capability.

• Robin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm surprised this isn't an option - definitely a must-have for providing client access via SFTP

• Peter Wilkinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this. For example on our wordpress websites, would like the give a user access to only the wp-content/uploads folder and not the whole site.

• Kiril commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SFTP folder restrictions are a must-have when giving access to users.

• vynnus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second @Maurizio on this. Since it's already possible to create multiple Application credentials there should be restrcition rules based on folders. Otherwise what would be the reason to create new application credentials if they all have the same access level?

• Maurizio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually I can not give access to a developer that needs to fix one specific file within the application, without giving him also access to the whole application files (some files do even include the database credentials).

• Joachim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really important, we have a customer who uploads xml files daily to our ftp server. Now this software can access al files on the ftp server. Make all website files open to this software.

This is definitely something we need. We have a client who does automatic uploads of XML data using an auto yard software and the credentials need to point to a specific folder for these fiels to be uploaded properly.

• Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am surprised that this isn't a major request. For a lot of the web development work I have done (online mapping applications) we provide access to content folders for users and not root access. This is currently something I need for 12 cloudways applications I am working on...

We need this too (not fussed about the IP restriction)

Use case: your application processes XML files provided by the client. The client can automate these files being generated and uploaded in their systems, but you want to give them FTP details that don't expose the rest of the application (and other applications).

Feedback and Knowledge Base