I suggest you ...

Create a vagrant file so we can replicate the server locally

Not sure if this should go in stacks or server settings.

Anyway for us developers it would be really good to be able to use a vagrant file to spin up a local copy of your server with settings so we can build on the exact same platform as live.

Vagrant is a quick and easy way to share virtual machines, and would allow developers to develop tools on a platform which matches live.

26 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Paul McCann shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
AdminCloudways (Admin, Cloudways) responded  · 

Thanks Paul. Would a docker image suit the same needs?. Assume so. We are leaning towards it for the exact same problem you mention.

Cloudways Team

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Yvonne Perkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really love anything that helped me to replicate the server locally. This suggestion was made over 2 years ago. What progress is being made on this request?

• Joseph Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love a vagrant file! You can provision to docker via Vagrant anyways so, vagrant file would be the most ideal. being able to build on the same platform as live would be awesome!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Vagrant is more simple and more practial option for developers although Docker will work too.

• Paul McCann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Guys, another option for this is to just install apt-clone on the server. We can then use that to replicate the installed modules on a local/dev server.

If i could edit the title I would change it to allow us to replicate server locally. Vagrant, Docker or apt-clone are all valid ways to do this.

Thanks

• Rateb Ben Moussa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Docker would be the container of the application that can be managed by Vagrant, so yes Docker image would be great to provide for testing purposes.

• Paul McCann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally I prefer Vagrant it has a slightly different use case to docker, because it works with any virtual infrastructure, I think its even included a docker provisioner as well.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-Docker-and-Vagrant-When-should-you-use-each-one

I think the learning curve with Vagrant is less, and people can use whatever they already have, so you might find it easier to hit a wider userbase with Vagrant.

IF you go down the docker route, just provide a simple vagrant file so we can provision that, it is really just a single file, so would help.
    https://www.vagrantup.com/docs/provisioning/docker.html

Paul

Feedback and Knowledge Base