Multiple databases per application

. but i does not apply here.. so sad :((

117 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ranil Jaramillo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Justin Mayfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please address this more adequately. Even shared Bluehost plans have built-in phpmyadmin with full management ability for every DB on the account and ability to create new DB's.

Creating a whole new application for a mere DB is a pretty low-quality solution. It makes a slow workflow and it clutters the application list. Without more ability to tag and search applications, this is a fairly low-quality user experience.

The only thing I can think of is creating a DO or Vultr droplet/server directly on their service (so it's cheap) and setting up phpmyadmin there with root access. I may have to do that for adding extra DB's but that doesn't help me to have a central place to manage all of my DB's.

Also, setting up SQL Workbench is a fairly complicated solution for DB management--especially given how generally user-friendly the rest of Cloudways' service is.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was nearly ready to start migrating my sites to Cloudways from Webfaction but I think this shortcoming might be a dealbreaker.

• Scott Whitlow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is causing us major issues and the workaround provided is *not* sufficient. We need to have a solution that easily allows you to create a new DB in the same instance. It is crazy that you have to create an entire new application just to add a new DB.

• Tom Greenwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be particularly useful for a staging version of a website at a subdomain. The tool I use to sync site versions (Wordmove) currently does not allow for differing table prefixes.

• Qarib commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So basically for every new database I have to create another application
    which is not ideal in real world scenerio
    as I will have to maintain so many apps
    please let me know if you have plans to improve this
    as this is really a huge drawback

• Cran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes getting the denied access and no privileges sucks. Please implement this feature.

• Mat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

According to Support they team are working hard to implement a solution to this .. since this was raised as an issue in 2014 first and it is now 2017 I'm not holding my breath.

Very disappointing.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can the Cloudways team provide an explanation for this limitation? (apart from the perhaps obvious reason to want users to create multiple instances just for the database and therefore increase costs)

• Stephen Barker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have sites I'd love to bring to Cloudways but I guess I need to keep giving my money to another host.

The proposed workaround from Cloudways does not allow a single user to access both databases (the main app db and the empty stack db). It's 2017. Seriously. Your tool has a "Create new database" option but you deny access. Why? Nobody has yet answered that question. It can access the "Information Schema" database as well as the app database. Why not a third or more? There's no way here to share tables or cross reference due to the user partitioning.

Please, let's get this moving. This functionality has been possible with PHPMyAdmin for years and years. CloudWays can do better here.

The proposed solution doesn't work for a single application that only has a single set of credentials but needs to connect with multiple databases or share tables.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with all the comments so far. This is ridiculous. Honestly, I am considering cancelling my hosting plan with Cloudways because of "permissions" being capped. I had to do so much workaround (especially setting up DNS records) to bypass this limitations that it's not funny. It's easier for me to move all of my sites to a new host than to bypass limitations on Cloudways. Unacceptable.

• R. Wendel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Might I recommend a separate database container, and potentially have it

(a) reachable via other servers in your account (dynamic acl generation or at least firewall on the sql server)
    (b) potentially have other database options, like oracle-xe or postgresql
    (c) for mysql container, have multiple databases as an option

• Vyse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I plan to make a multiple Database for my WordPress but since user can't even create a DB. Since my WPMU configuration might get as much as thousand of sub-site later on this will be too much for single database. 16 DB or 256 DB I might need for 100,000+ blogs. Hope you can Implement this for now I'll wait and stick on my current host.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base