I suggest you ...

Backup (costs): more transparency desirable and possibility to disable the backup service

1) Backups of server is a payed service. Totally fair, but it is not noted anywhere inside the platform portal. You have to dig like 3 articles deep to find out the actual costs for backup storage. It would be nice if in the server settings this was more transparent communicated.

2) Once you have multiple servers it is nearly impossible to find out what is actually charged per month for backup storage costs and what is droplet cost. Some reporting on this would be helpfull.

3) And last but not least, I think backup should be optional. I can easily create a custom script and cron job to create backups of applications myself to possibly a cheaper backup storage service. However, I must use the CloudWays backup service and I am forced to pay for this.

121 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dirk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Plugin Warrior commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! I just signed up an hour ago on the trial and this is the first thing I noticed! Wasn't clear at all how they charge for it on their landing pages, in the docs it's quite buried. And in the dashboard they don't say how much they're charging for backups when you select frequency or retention... but in the docs in the gif it showed dynamic pricing adjustments at the bottom of backups tab.

I can't see how much space each backup takes up (Like in GCP or AWS) and can't delete backups if I don't want so many backups I'll be paying for! (Especially for scheduled or accidental backups).

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unethical back up charging practice. Why force us to use your backups and it's not clear at all this is not included in the monthly charge. The bill comes as an unexpected surprise / shock. The backup costs are the same as the hosting. So you end up paying double than what you were expecting.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with others. It is unethical to "secretly" charge extra for offsite backups w/o any knowledge of the customer that they are being charged extra for this.

• Anurag commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give a real time predictor to choose a right offsite backup combination OR allow the customer to disable this. Current method is un-ethical and not the right way to do business.

Please remove offisite backup from my plan and refund all your illegal charges.!!!!

• Johnatas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have never requested offline backup. I disabled it on the server and it was take by a backupbuddy. I dont think you charge by using backup buddy.

Please review the charges and server as I did not enabled it.

Also, there is no warning on the site and no calculation on how much will the offsite server backup will be. Please reconsider the decision.

• Sheryl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

... AND the Ability do DELETE Server backups that are no longer needed !

App backups rather than full server backups would be Great as well.

We can create On Demand Backups.

But we have No way of deleting unneeded backups once we have made major website changes.
    Net Effect: we have Much space taken up by Garbage for a long period of time, we must Pay for "garbage" continually, until Cloudways decides to Finally Delete it, and restore this space to us.

Even Windows allows a max backup space, and other services offer a 'max number of backups to keep' setting. These are basic These are not the Ideal settings, but it's certainly better than Cloudways allows for.
    Instead Cloudways locks us out of a whole section of our server space, with no control over it whatsoever. We cannot even see how much space this is !

• Sheryl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We we can set an automated frequency for backups, and retention period.

We can also create a backup on demand.
    This is an important feature :-)

What about Delete on Demand ?

We cannot delete backups which are no longer relevant.
    ..and you _Charge_ us for retaining these backups!

Fix:
    Allow us to selectively delete backups that we Know we no longer want.
    - Or don't charge us for the ones we no longer want !

I may make several backups whilst making changes/updates.
    This can take up a great deal of space. Fine Temporarily.
    Obviously, paying for this extra space makes sense ! ..while I want/need it.

But then I'd like to take out the garbage, free up space:
    aka Delete intermediate backups that are no longer needed.

..And release charges for what is now trash and wasted space.

Incredible. No email notifying us of a new charge for a service we don't need as we pay for backups already through a third party. It amazes me that business' think this is an ok way to serve their customers. I am on the hunt for a better and more transparent hosting company!

• Arun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think I got an email saying that I will be charged for this feature. I already manage backups at my end and I do not want to pay for it. Please have an option to disable it.

• Angel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a joke. No notifications to clients, you just charge more money and we cannot disable it. Good trick but I am looking for another provider. This is no way to manage a business.

Good luck.

Feedback and Knowledge Base