I suggest you ...

Improve Staging Deployment for Wordpress Sites with better Find/Replace

I have found a problem with the Staging deployment for my wordpress sites.
Some plugins and themes store serialised arrays in the wordpress options. This is a valid technique that results in less DB calls.
However, if you simply do a find and replace on URLs in the database, the serialisation of the array will break. This means that the Staging site will lose the settings in the plug-ins and themes.
If you don't realise this, and push the changes back to Live, the Live website will break.

A related problem is with premium plugins and themes that are licensed to a specific domain. Of course, the Staging site is on a different domain, and so some plug-ins may require a different license key.
Again, this is a find and replace challenge when migrating to and from Staging and Production.

I have got around this problem by using WP Migrate Pro plug-in, which performs and intelligent and WordPress optimised migration. Of course, it would have been better to have this functionality in Cloudways.

13 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Garth Penglase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ps. we shouldn't be having to tell you about this stuff - you are creating your own support issues.

surely you realise that half of your "my plugin isn't working" support issues after migration would be related to this?

• Garth Penglase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This still hasn't been addressed. It screws with certain premium plugins.

Along with the initial one that your migration team did for me, it still requires a follow up search and replace on all migrated sites using your migration plugin.

Why don't you tell Blogvault to give Delicious Brains a call and license their Better Search Replace plugin tech. Problem solved.

• Brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 Seems like this should be a priority if they tout true one button push/pulls. Losing information in serialised arrays should not occur.

• Igor Honhoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue on my site. I contacted support to help me with this and they were able to successfully replace all the urls in serialised arrays but this should happen automatically when cloning or creating a staging copy.

Feedback and Knowledge Base