I suggest you ...

Cloudways should add DDoS protection service

DDoS is a common problem now, maybe Cloudways can add a DDoS Mitigation service and upgrade their Network hardware to secure against Level 3 DDoS attacks

253 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminCloudways (Admin, Cloudways) responded  · 

After some difficulties with Cloudflare, we have spoken now with Sucuri (https://sucuri.net/). They offer malware removal, website firewall (providing DDoS protection among other things, requires DNS redirection to point to their firewalls) and site scanning (via local agent). All features independent (we can offer all or some).

We are thinking that a better approach to solving our customers problems when it comes to security and performance will be to offer (as add-ons) Sucuri (security centric and very focused on our most common apps) and MaxCDN (pure CDN focused on performance).

Any one has had experience with Sucuri? We have already tested (and in talks with them) and looks very promising.

Let us know thoughts on this (Sucuri + MaxCDN) approach (vs Cloudfront). We know this is well overdue and want to get it rolling.

Cloudways Team

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

I'm not convinced any cloud-based DDoS protection is effective against sophisticated attacks, since the server's actual IP address still faces the public internet and can often be discovered.

Ideally the infrastructure providers would make this standard (they could protect their whole operation and all customers with a single robust solution). It seems wrong to me that this is only occasionally offered, and as a premium service.

But since that's not likely to change anytime soon, what can Cloudways offer on the server-level? There must be options for this.

• Toby Karlevid commented  · 

What about Wordfence and KeyCDN? that would be my vote / suggestion

• Anonymous commented  · 

Cachefly or KeyCDN would be great. Sucuri is not an option for low budget.

• Mike commented  · 

To repeat wahat surbma says, your secururi option is a non starter. It's not even something that could be considered because it's per site and not per server. Imagine having to put that on 100 different sites (which isn't even a lot)... that's 30,000/yr! It's insanity.

• Surbma commented  · 

3rd party services are not a solution for multisite owners with hundreds of domains on the install. Every provider is adding protection on a domain by domain basis, which is not an option for us.

Please consider a server side DDoS protection, that is independent from the domains pointing to it!

• Jon commented  · 

I like KeyCDN vs MaxCDN because KeyCDN has HTTP/2 and Free Lets Encrypt SSL zones.

SSL zones on MaxCDN are like $20/month

• Umesh Joshi commented  · 

We believe the hosting provider / managed wp hosting should cover security so therefore we do not have to add a bloated security package on each application. This reduces the page loading speed significantly and the time it take to configure and manage each site reduces our client productivity. We have been considering other providers recently because of the above issue. We really hope you implement something soon or you will lose customers rapidly. Other competitors are also offering Cloudflare Railgun as a free service. This is a serious game changer!!

• Umesh Joshi commented  · 

We have been using MAXCDN which is good but we are now interested in this solution as it is the cheapest and a reliable alternate = https://www.keycdn.com. I have seen several hosting companies integrate this service for free as a value added feature, along with free SSL (which you have already provided recently :) )

• Adam commented  · 

Would be good to have some feedback from Cloudways about what the 'difficulties' were with Cloudflare?

• Anonymous commented  · 

I have used Sucuri before. They are very helpful. I see you are offering an affiliate service, but it would be great if we could set it up with one click from within the Cloudways console.

• Fauzi Rakhmat commented  · 

MaxCDN is costly for Singapore traffic. I hope there is a solution for that.

• Sam commented  · 

I am using cloudflare and they are pros when it comes to DDoS.

What was the difficulties with Cloudflare? Please elaborate.

• Don commented  · 

A built in DDOS protections would take the cake :)

• Don commented  · 

+2 for CloudFlare
        +1 for CDN77 + Sucuri

• Woorkup commented  · 

I agree with Michael. I think it also needs to be affordable. Sucuri + KeyCDN would be a better solution.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Sucuri looks promising and have used MaxCDN before. Do it!

• Michael Dorchain commented  · 

For small to medium traffic, I'm pretty sure Cloudfront will be a more cost efficient solution for most. For this add-on to be successful it needs to be affordable. If the add-on it doubles or triple the hosting cost it will probably not get so much traction. Hosting + Security still need to remain below the price of a fully managed premium hosting for it to be interesting.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base