I suggest you ...

WordPress (or other apps) staging (live and test site combination)

Cloudways definition of staging is somewhat different from other managed WP services like SiteGround and MT Premium WP. It would be great to have dual WP setup for live and test without cloning, and hopefully with easy/simple sync feature.

161 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

mottainaisan shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Database must be moved with drag and drop like pantheon or WP Engine.

• Mark commented  · 

I'd like to suggest a feature that provides a simple one click push to live from a cloned app. In particular for a WordPress app.

The cloning is great, and I understand this is the "staging" feature. But after I'm done developing on my cloned staging site, I would love to select an option that lets me make my cloned site overwrite my live site. Choose a server, choose an app to overwrite, and click go. Now everything I did on the clone is shown on the live site.

Currently I have to use the migration plugin, or change the domain mapping to make a clone take over the live site.

I also have a SiteGround account that offers one click staging, so a lot of what I imagine is similar to this.

Thanks.

• PeterK commented  · 

Right now the usability sucks in the console when working with applications. If you create a new app, it redirects back to the server page after creating the app. So you have to navigate your way back to applications and select the newly added application from a dropdown.

There's no easy way to quickly go the application screen for a particular app. Loading the console already takes a long time, to have to select the server, then go to the app screen and then select the right application, all of this takes a lot of time and clicks.

A lot of the time it's confusing knowing what staged app I'm working with. When creating an app it would be great to prompt for a handle that refers to the application, rather than having to do this adhoc. Even better would be to have part of the domain name contain a user-defined string.

Instead of names like:

wordpress-4345-8358-53454.cloudwaysapps.com

It could be slightly improved with:

custom-slug-4345-8358-53454.cloudwaysapps.com

• Bill commented  · 

that isnt a great answer but definitely a great question/improvement idea. I have had the same frustration.

• AdminCloudways (Admin, Cloudways) commented  · 

We aim to be flexible on how people can use our platform, so git integration, server cloning and application cloning give lots of room for it. Understand that no so convenient as having dev/test/prod envs by default when you launch your app as others are doing but on the other side gives freedom to organize things in your own way (i.e. staging, test in one cloud provider and prod in another like some people do).

Guess you have taken a look at:
        http://www.cloudways.com/blog/git-integration-on-cloud/

To have an idea about what people is doing.

In any case noted!

Cloudways Team

← Previous 1 2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base