I suggest you ...

Add access to Digital Ocean Private networking / local IP

Digital ocean already provides Private networking through 10.x.x.x IP addresses for droplets in the same region. It would be very helpful to pass this setting through to Cloudways server options and control panel to more efficiently network servers.

18 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Andrew shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
AdminCloudways (Admin, Cloudways) responded  · 

Can you give us an example on how you would use this within the context of Cloudways service?

Cloudways Team

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could have one server for web files/app, and another one for the database. And make both communicate using the internal IP, instead of the external one.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like this feature as well.

I use Cloudways because it allows me to very quickly create & destroy applications within a server, and because the configurations and upgrades are all managed by you guys instead of me. For many servers this makes perfect sense and I am happy to pay the premium for a Cloudways server to make this possible. It saves me time and I never have enough time.

However sometimes I need to run something that you guys don't yet offer, such as Elasticsearch 5.4, and I need to be able to access that from a Cloudways application. I have this exact scenario happening right now.

I only need to access the Elasticsearch server from the Cloudways application. I have set up the Elasticsearch server in the Tokyo VULTR datacenter and have set up the firewall rules so the ES port can only be accessed from my Cloudways server. Unfortunately because I don't have a private IP on my Cloudways server I have to use the public IPs for this when really it should be done with the private IPs. Using private IPs doesn't use the bandwidth allocation and is also a better thing to do from a security standpoint if external access is not necessary. Using private IPs should result in somewhat lower latency as well, something that is important for a service like Elasticsearch.

Even with having multiple Cloudways servers this would be a benefit as users could run some services on one Cloudways server and other services on another Cloudways server resulting in much better performance for higher traffic sites.

• Kostas AL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am watching Cloudways for almost a year and have not seen this feature. Clustering is must have for many (guaranteed performance for each server/service web, mysql, redis, elasticsearch etc.) ... and using the public network is not an option at all...

Please get this in .... We are wanting for it for almost a year now.... CW is not as responsice as we thought :-(

• Dennis Tiboni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scenario: 1 Server web (magento) ip 200.x.x.x, 1 Server DB 200.x.x.x, 1 Server Redis 200.x.x.x
    each server have public ip but to configure magento local.xml to point at Server DB we need a private IP for each server like this.
    1 Server web (magento) ip 10.x.x.x, 1 Server DB 10.x.x.x, 1 Server Redis 10.x.x.x

Is possible to have this configuration without forwarding the request outside the network?

Hi team,

Can you please add this feature . This is really useful if you have multiple servers in one location and want to communicate between them . The private networking data transfers are free and the latency is very very low. So, any interaction between the servers are speedy. One of the many use cases is that we can separate application layer and database layer in two different server and can scale each separately as per the need. That's the reason DO and vultr introduced this functionality.

I am also looking for private networking capability, either Digital Ocean or Vultr to take advantage of the low latency.

• Tony Antony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can create a backup server or a database server on a digitalocean droplet. Transfer through private network is not counted in monthly transfer. It also gives low latency

Feedback and Knowledge Base