I suggest you ...

Remote mysql database access

The ability to connect remotely to a hosted database on a server, possibly an IP whitelist

66 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Meisam shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mark commented  · 

It would be very helpful if Cloudways support would at least say they have seen this suggestion.

Some have said this is already possible by using SSH tunneling.

I have a need to remotely connect to the databases of several of my Cloudways servers database from another of my Cloudways servers that has phpMyAdmin. Is this possible over SSH? With keys instead of passwords?

• innercode commented  · 

This feature is crucial to lots of businesses, you cannot do data or structure sync without it, 3rd party software sometimes uses this too.

Even shared hosting has this feature.. it is strange that 2 years passed and this one wasn't implemented yet. Hope to see it in the near future.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I am able to connect and perform database transactions remotely on Cloudways server using SSH but it's awfully slow.

• Jordon Scrinko commented  · 

100% Agreed. I actually moved to managed cloud from unmanaged at GCP - The website I had intended to migrate over required direct mysql connection in order for the IDX data feed to work - and there's just no way around this. I'll have to cancel my account, and move elsewhere.

• Eddie commented  · 

There should be a whitelist similar to the FTP whitelist that allows users to specify IP addresses that should be allowed to connect to the database externally.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I moved away from Godaddy for certain illogical restrictions in present IT world, but was surprised to find the same here. I am here forced to have different applications which are inter-connected on same server.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I really need this feature as well. Have to cancel my server because of this. sad.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I am currently assessing whether to use Cloudways moving forward but can see an issue straight away for the first project we would use it for.

We have an external company that provides a service that needs direct secure connection to a MySQL server locked down by ip. Connecting over SSH is not an option.

Sad face :(

• Anonymous commented  · 

Can't believe this basic feature is not implemented yet.
        Even Microsoft Azure has already started their Azure MySQL DB and allows remote connection on whitelist.

• Armindo Primariu commented  · 

This is mandatory for my customers.
        If this is not provided i will need to move away from Cloudways.

• Ghanesh commented  · 

Remote access to db is very important utility that let's us work fast. access over SSH is not stable so has high risk of data integrity.

I've a static IP for my office. It would be great if you enable ports for my specific IP address to access database remotely...

• ade commented  · 

Please provide remote access to db!!

• Clive commented  · 

I need this capability in order to create FEDERATED table connections to my Cloudways MySQL database tables.

• Anonymous commented  · 

As Luis Maldonado commented below, you can remotely connect to a Cloudways MySQL database if you have an SSH tunnel. Here is how I created mine on Windows 10:
        Run both of these commands in the same Git Bash window, one after the other:
        ssh -i ~/.ssh/id_rsa2013-10-06 -fNg -L 3307:127.0.0.1:3306 master_usernameHere@{ipAddressOfServer} -vvv
        winpty /c/wamp/bin/mysql/mysql5.6.17/bin/mysql.exe -vv -h 127.0.0.1 -P 3307 -u{mysqlUsername} -p --protocol=tcp
        See http://stackoverflow.com/a/35964412/470749
        If using Laravel, ensure that the .env file has the host as 127.0.0.1 instead of a remote IP, and set the port to 3307.

• ITSecMedia commented  · 

Please support remote access via TCP to the MySQL servers!!!

• Anonymous commented  · 

+1 for this! It would allow for mixed Cloudways + "vanilla" VPS projects.

• Anonymous commented  · 

YES! Please Include this feature . We have a Production Mirror Server which points to the production database in another server . With out the white-list option we cant access the production database. This is IMPORTANT and if not implemented will require me to move to another provider.

• Luis Maldonado commented  · 

In other hosting providers , to maintain the PCI Complaince they offered an alternative IP to access the database server and a Whitelist.

Currently i use an SSH Tunnel to accomplish this requirement.

• Hugues Pinsonneault commented  · 

@cloudways.... dont you read this... please give us the appropriate onfo!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base